Tips to Improve the Balance in Your Life
- Get Adequate Sleep. Without this, small problems appear insurmountable and we become irritable. If you are well-rested, you will handle stress much better and be able to function at your best.
- Eat Right and Regularly. Cut down on convenient junk food and increase healthy nutritious food that is appealing to you. Be aware of obsessive habits and tendencies to deny your basic needs.
- Exercise on a Regular Basis. Even moderate daily exercise can help you feel better, digest better, sleep better and be a happier, more positive person. Find something you like and can fit into your schedule and routine.
- Have a Support System. Build friendships and relationships that can support you and be a safety net in times of stress. Nurture relationships with trusted friends, mentors, and enjoy the benefits of helping others in return.
- Become Aware of Your Emotional Health. Find ways to explore and clarify your feelings and thoughts. Express feelings directly and assertively rather than acting them out in aggressive or self-destructive behaviors. Honestly acknowledging your feelings may help you avoid losing your balance.
- Manage Your Time. Create a schedule to effectively manage your academic demands, work, social life, organizational obligations, and private time. Understand your own needs and find time to accommodate what works for you. Try to be flexible when faced with incoming workloads and high expectations.
- Have Some Fun and Learn to Relax. Take time out to relax and mentally let go. Making time for activities you enjoy will rejuvenate you and help to bring perspective when times are difficult. Find something that is enjoyable and meaningful.
- Stay In the Present. It’s easy to complain about the past and to worry about the future. When you do that all the time, you miss out on life as it happens. Make a constant effort to stay in the moment and enjoy life now.
Other Quick Tips
- Stop Worrying About What You Can’t Control
- Stop Hanging Out with Negative People
- Learn to Say No and Set Limits
- Take Time to Reflect