Kirksville has plenty of places that will accept your gently used clothing items, shoes, furniture, accessories, etc. For example, the Crossing Thrift Store located on Baltimore and Hidden Treasures on the square downtown usually accept gently used items.
Reducing and Reusing Basics
Benefits of Reducing and Reusing
- Prevents pollution caused by reducing the need to harvest new raw materials;
- Saves energy;
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change;
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations;
- Saves money;
- Reduces the amount of waste that will need to be recycled or sent to landfills and incinerators;
- Allows products to be used to their fullest extent.
Ideas on How to Reduce and Reuse
- Buy used. You can find everything from clothes to building materials at specialized reuse centers and consignment shops. Often, used items are less expensive and just as good as new.
- Look for products that use less packaging. When manufacturers make their products with less packaging, they use less raw material. This reduces waste and costs. These extra savings can be passed along to the consumer. Buying in bulk, for example, can reduce packaging and save money.
- Buy reusable over disposable items. Look for items that can be reused; the little things can add up. For example, you can bring your own silverware and cup to work, rather than using disposable items.
- Maintain and repair products, like clothing, tires, and appliances, so that they won’t have to be thrown out and replaced as frequently.
- Borrow, rent, or share items that are used infrequently, like party decorations, tools, or furniture.
One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Instead of discarding unwanted appliances, tools, or clothes, try selling or donating them. Not only will you be reducing waste, you’ll be helping others. Local churches, community centers, thrift stores, schools, and nonprofit organizations may accept a variety of donated items, including used books, working electronics, and unneeded furniture.
Benefits of Donation
- Prevents usable goods from going into landfills
- Helps your community and those in need
- Tax benefits may be available