Sleep is necessary for full and efficient functioning. Here are some tips to help you get to sleep and stay asleep.
- Set a bed time and stick to it. A regular sleep schedule helps you to feel more rested.
- Avoid excessive alcohol before sleeping. While some finds that it helps them to fall asleep, alcohol actually suppresses REM sleep and makes sleeping patterns irregular throughout the night.
- If you find that you cannot fall asleep, try writing in a journal before bed. This may help you to sort through your thoughts and feel more relaxed.
- Keep a sleep diary to track when you go to bed, how quickly you fell asleep, how frequently you awoke during the night and how you felt the next morning.
- If you can’t fall asleep within 20-30 minutes of going to bed, try getting up and reading.
Here are some more tips from the Student Health Center:
- Take a warm bath
- Get a massage
- Drink warm milk or herbal tea
- Get some physical exercise during the day
- Avoid illuminated clocks – try to make your bedroom as dark as possible
For more information about sleep, check out http://www.sleepfoundation.org/.