Several Truman staff members in Student Affairs have been trained as smoking cessation coaches and are willing to meet individually with students (or faculty/staff members) who desire to become tobacco-free. When you meet with a coach, you may obtain nicotine replacement products (gum or patches) as well as other helpful habit-reducing products (flavored chewing gums and toothpicks) at no charge. The coaching sessions and the products are all free of charge – funding for the smoking cessation products is provided by MOPIP.
If you wish to become tobacco-free and believe that you might benefit from the services of a personalized coaching/support program and provision of nicotine replacement products and/or other habit-reduction products, please contact any one of the following professionals to schedule an appointment or discuss a plan that might be helpful for you.
The following coaches assist students, faculty and staff:
- Dr. Michelle L. Blakely, Dean of Students Office (660-785-4111 or email@example.com)
- Miranda Kolenda, Student Recreation Center (660-785-7739 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Susan Limestall, Student Recreation Center (660-785-7739 or email@example.com)
The following coaches assist students only:
- Lori Elschlager, Student Health Center (660-785-4182 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Brenda Higgins, Student Health Center and Counseling Services (660-785-4182 or email@example.com)
- Lyne Palmisano, Student Health Center (660-785-4182 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Teresa Tucker, Student Health Center (660-785-4182 or email@example.com)
- Vicky Wehner, Student Health Center and Disability Services (660-785-4182 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- William Nelsen, Residence Life (660-785-4227 or email@example.com)
- Megan Swingle, Residence Life (660-785-4830 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
The following coaches assist faculty and staff only:
- Mindy Aucutt, Human Resources (660-785-4031 or email@example.com)
At your first appointment, you’ll submit the forms and meet with a Smoking Cessation Coach for 20-60 minutes to discuss your readiness to quit and formulate a personalized plan. Appropriate nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) or other support materials may be provided.
Appointments thereafter are typically 30 minutes or less. You’ll share your progress with your Smoking Cessation Coach and receive guidance. Appropriate NRT or other support materials will be provided.
You may be asked to complete other forms and they may be found here.
- Smokefree.gov is a free, comprehensive online program offered by the CDC. It offers optional texting with a counselor from the National Cancer Institute. This website also has an app and the website is available in Spanish.
- Become an Ex is a free program from the National Alliance for Tobacco Cessation. It offers an individually tailored online program.
- Freedom from Smoking Online (FFS Online)is an adaptation of the American Lung Association’s gold standard, group clinic that has helped thousands of smokers to quit for good. FFS Online takes you through modules, each containing several lessons that you access through this protected website. These lessons include valuable information and most of them contain an assignment that you are to complete before moving on. The assignments reinforce the messages in each lesson and your commitment to quit. There is a membership fee for this online program:
- Three-month Premium Membership – $15.00
Three months of access to the Premium version of FFS Online. This includes a detailed curriculum to help you quit smoking, as well as the ability to download relaxation exercises and full access to the FFS Online Community, which includes Message Boards, blogs and other social networking capabilities.
- One-year Premium Membership – $40.00
One year of access to the Premium version of FFS Online. This includes a detailed curriculum to help you quit smoking, as well as the ability to download relaxation exercises and full access to the FFS Online Community, which includes Message Boards, blogs and other social networking capabilities. One year of membership allows plenty of time for the smoker to go through the quitting process and become secure in his or her new nonsmoking lifestyle.
- Three-month Premium Membership – $15.00